Thursday, February 17, 2011

It’s beginning to feel a lot like St. Patty’s Day!

Embracing the slight breeze and partly cloudy sky outside the EE, we have thrown open the windows and embraced the coming spring. Yes, I realize that particular season is still a ways off, but given the winter we have endured, I’m willing to imbibe in this little self-delusion! That said, St. Patrick’s Day is the next holiday to light up the calendar. At least, it is the next one we decorate for around here! That activity shall commence today. Woohoo!

While perusing the contents of the galley, the idea of corned beef and cabbage occurred to me. Rylee was up for it and Ryan wasn’t around to throw in his opinion. Winking smile  On the last grocery trip, we bought a pair of large, Angus beef roasts from the local club store. These sat patiently in the refrigerator for the last few days waiting for me to cut them down to meal size portions. I cut a long strip from one and it has now begun brining for supper. YUM! The other inspiration for supper was the partial head of cabbage in the crisper, begging to be used. Waste not, want not!
I’m also considering a recipe for a Potato Galette from Joy of Cooking (which is not my favorite cookbook for flavor, but a good jumping off point for recipes to tweak). First, I plan to leave the skin on the potatoes (well washed of course). Second, garlic cloves and a touch of milk will be involved. A bit of influence from a Gratin Dauphinois. Personally, I’m also experiencing a hankering for Monkey Bread.
So, drop by tomorrow for a pictorial recap of our day’s adventures! If the food turns out tasty, I’ll post a few recipes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment